Search site

Armed Forces Community

In its modern form, Colchester Garrison can trace its roots to the Napoleonic Wars of the early 19th Century, with barracks built in what is now New Town to house 7,000 soldiers. The Army has been a permanent presence in Colchester since 1856 when the 11th Regiment of Foot was stationed in the town during the Crimean War.

Since 1999, Colchester Garrison has been the home of 16 Air Assault Brigade the British Army's airborne rapid reaction force, specially trained and equipped to deploy by parachute, helicopter and air landing.